Friday, July 8, 2011

Nkhata Bay

On Friday morning I left Maggie's without breakfast, it was that early.  Well bad idea because there was no bus at the station anyways, but I waited because I wanted a seat.  I waited, and waited, and still no bus.  I killed time taking pictures, giving babies lollypops, and talking with villagers.  I ran into Bob, a Malawian man I had hitchhiked with about two weeks ago when I was stuck in Jenda so we caught up!  Small world I guess!



The bus arrived at 10:00 AM after waiting more than three hours.  Patience is key in Malawi!  Every person in the station seemed to be waiting for the bus I wanted too.  It was crazy, everyone jumped up and ran to the pull in so I joined in.  Remember I wanted a seat!  The bus was already packed because it was coming from Lilongwe so tickets were scarce as were busses because of the nation wide fuel shortages.  We all piled next to the bus door as some passengers were getting off.  I just crossed my fingers I would get a ticket.  There must have been 50 people all pushing and holding up their 500 Kwacha bills trying to get the ticket masters attention.  The pushing was unbearable, I said stop pushing but no one seemed to know what I was saying.  Chichewa please.  

I managed to get a ticket on the bus after fighting all the pushing and just doing it back, but a seat was impossible.  I was in the isle with my backpack and travel bag.  I need to start packing lighter for these trips I guess!  I was also dripping sweat and everyone seemed to be looking at it pour out underneath my hat onto my face.  I knew this would be an adventure for sure.  I stood for about three hours holding on for dear life as the bus turned this way and that and people got off and on.  I put on my thinking cap and turned my bag into a seat and placed it in the isle to sit.  Good idea for awhile until people kept getting off from the back and I had to move here and there to get through.  When we got to our next stop at the bus check point I asked a lady if she would not mind waking up her daughter and putting her on her lap so I could have a seat.  She agreed!  I even paid 500 Kwacha, I was that desperate.  

Well Brenda was with her sister and two daughters.  She works for the Japanese Embassy in Lilongwe and was taking a trip with her family to see her mother and father.  The kids were so cute.  We played the entire ride!  Brenda even gave me her business card as she plans on driving me to the airport when I leave!  The girls can see the airplane and I can get a free ride to the airport.  Not bad.  The younger child got a bit antsy before arriving to Mzuzu so I got lots of scratches on my face and sharp pains every time she pulled my leg hair.  

When I got to Mzuzu I then hopped on a mini bus to Nkhata Bay.  It was a two hour ride from there.  I was so close, I could smell Lake Malawi!  I purchased some bananas and oranges at a market stall we stopped at along the way for the weekend.  We arrived in Nkhata Bay at 5:30 PM.  The sun was just going down and the night life was just picking up.  I was staying at Mayoka Village Lodge just a few minutes from the center of town.  They have a car that picks up guests from town and transports them too the lodge so no walking was involved.  I already knew I was going to like this place.  They must have know I was coming and was very tired!  

I asked some people in the shops where the car to Mayoka was and some men came along and said 'my friend this way' and began grabbing my backs, directing me to the cars location.  I told them I could carry the bags and would follow.  They brought me to a car which had no sign saying Mayoka Village so I was a bit skeptical about getting in, but did anyways.  I had my hand on the door the entire time if something were to go wrong and I needed to bail.  The drivers name was James so we bonded right from the start.  He had not met a James before so I told him all the nicknames I have, Jimmy, Jim, Jimbo, and Jimbosnake!  He was laughing with his other friend in the front seat.

I arrived at Mayoka tired and in need of a drink and food.  I was quickly introduced to Impatso who works at Mayoka.  She welcomed me and carried my bags to my room.  The room was spectacular.  It was so I almost broke my ankle walking up the steep flight of stairs.  The sitting all day definitely got to me.




View from Chalet
Friday night they have a buffet for 1,300 Kwacha so I signed up for that!  They served honey garlic chicken, rump beef kebabs, german potato salad, steamed broccoli, crumbled egg plant fingers, garlic and herbed bread, chili bites, garden salad, and cashew nut and herb rissoles.  I was in heaven, I think I had three helpings!  


Japanese Women Working for JICA (Japanese International Cooperation Agency)
Special and I
I stayed up for awhile with a bunch of Canadians celebrating their Independence Day and then made it off to bed around 3 AM!

Internet is very low in the office.  So I am going to post what I have typed now!

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment