Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Maggie: My Second Mom

As you all know I am based in Kasungu where MicroLoan Foundations HQ is.  I have been staying at  the Kavaguti Lodge, a guesthouse that is about a 25 minute walk from work!  
The guesthouse is run by a young lady named Maggie.  Maggie and her husband, Eric, have been living there for years!  Eric's father built the house and he soon inherited it.  They used to rent the house but soon saw their house they spent years on becoming ruined in the hands of the tenants so they turned it into a lovely, warm, welcoming guesthouse.  They have five rooms, a dining room, family room, porch, laundry services, a vegetable garden, and stunning views of Mt. Kasungu!
Maggie
Malawi: The Warm Heart of Africa
They currently have three others they employ, the cook Able, the house cleaner Danielle, and the gate guard Samuel.  They all work tirelessly to make sure one has a great experience at the Kavanguti Lodge.  My experience has been great thus far.  They always say hi and make sure everything you need is at your finger tips!  
Last night I had finally received my permanent room for the remainder of my stay in Malawi so I was able to unpack and cease living out of my bags!  There has been so many people coming and going the past few weeks who were affiliated with MicroLoan that I had to give up my room a few nights.  Now, I am located on the other side of the guesthouse separate from the main house.  Its perfect!   I have a king size bed, my own tv, private bathroom, and amazing views of Mt. Kasungu!  I also have the outdoor space that separates my room from the kitchen so I get to see and talk to Maggie, Eric, and her other employees a lot.  I told Maggie and Able that I want them to teach me how to cook as I would be living in an apartment next year with my roommate Steve and will soon be on my own.  They laughed and said sure.  Maggie said, "can you teach me how to cook like an American."  I don't know what she meant, but I said, "well first thing is you need to get a can opener."  We laughed!  She was using a knife and hammering it into the tomato paste can as she had nothing else.  I told my mom and she is going to purchase one for her.  Thank god!  I am planning on having Linda Thomson, MicroLoan USA Executive Director bring this along with her on her visit in July!
My Official Room in Kavaguti Lodge
Well it was Elaine's last night and she was given the choice of dinner.  She had no preference besides a request for a cake.  Maggie made a peanut cake and then spread Nutella I had purchased in Lilongwe on it.  She had never tried it before until I brought it into the kitchen to show her and she loved it!  The cake was so good.  I had a slice this morning with breakfast!  
Elaine left this morning.  It was bitter sweet.  I woke up at 6AM to say goodbye!  The last individual who was somewhat around my age had returned for home.  Again she is the fashion design artist from the Ireland who did some consulting work for MicroLoan, working with our clients on knitting/sewing training.  She is headed to Kenya next week for another project she will be working on.  So exciting!
Elaine and Maggie!
Maggie and I had tea this morning and made omelets.  I was in heaven.  Fresh tomato, pepper, onion, garlic,  cheese, and the chills from AIMC Farm!  We sat down for awhile and I soon realized she is just like my mom!  I managed to get a picture with her which was really nice.  She laughed hysterically when I showed her!
Omelet Prep 
Maggie and I
Excited to see my relationship grow with Maggie!  
Back to work!
Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment