Friday, June 10, 2011

Maggie Continued



Well I skipped lunch today as I have started to notice white rice for lunch and dinner was probably not so ideal!  It may have been ideal protein for my exercise following work but not something that was enhancing my body mass index!

Instead, today I headed to the market to buy some avocado, coconut cookies, and bananas!  When I returned to the guesthouse I had Maggie use the ingredients in conjunction with tonights dinner!  

I headed into the kitchen to construct a desert for dinner.  I had no idea what I was doing but just made it up as I was going along, pretending I knew what I was making!  I mashed the coconut cookies with some butter then mashed some bananas.  I don't know if it was "America's Next Great Restaurant" or my moms "Ina Garten" cook book, but I laid the cookies in a pan and placed the banana mixture on top!  I had Maggie heat the oven and place it inside.  I knew we were going to have a great dessert!

Before dinner I watched some tele with John and Ian and then headed to the kitchen to spend some time with Maggie and her husband.  We watched the banana desert as it cooked in the oven and when it was finally ready it was placed on the table to eat.  I had the first taste, and it was great!  It met my Malawi standards!

Following dinner and dessert, I headed back into the kitchen to spend more time with Maggie and Eric. They are the nicest, most sincere in the world.  This morning at work I remembered I had a rather large collection of pictures that I managed to sneak along with me in my backpack!  I brought the pictures out and showed Maggie and Eric!  They saw pictures of my prom, of my first day on the school bus in kindergarten, almost every christmas picture of myself and brothers, my best friends senior pictures, and my favorite family photo of me and my brothers with my mom and dad!

Maggie and Eric examined all of my 'snaps.'  They asked 'who is this' and 'what is that.'  They admired my beautiful family and my mother and fathers looks.  They enjoyed my prom pictures with Becca, Jen and Katie.  They pondered my bluefish and striper pictures caught off the coast of Nantucket Island.  They both elicited great understanding of the American culture and yearned to see and experience it!

I soon learned that Maggie was paid the same amount as the gate guard, the cook, the cleaner, and everyone else!  My heart cracked when I heard this.  All the money her and Eric were making from guest stays were going to his father.  


Maggie is 26 years old.  I said 'what' and she laughed.  I thought she was in her 40s!  I told Maggie her hair dew made her look like she was much older, so she said she would take out her extensions and go back to her normal cut!  Note: the women of Malawi have very short hair so extensions and fake hair are mere necessary.      

Well somehow I knew Maggie had a daughter!  Paolo and Daniella told me she did not live with her.  Maggie told me her daughter was four years old and Eric's father insisted that she live with him and his wife for the best eduction.  Maggie's sees her daughter every month if that!  Imagine you at four years old and you see your mom every month…crazy!

I then asked Maggie about her family.  Maggie told me her father and mother separated at a young age and her and her older sisters had to fend for themselves.  She said her father was a doctor in Lilongwe and her mother choose to stay in her village in Kasungu!  She further explained that she rarely sees her mother although she lives less than 10km away!  I decided we were going to change that!

I asked Maggie if her and I could go see her mother and she replied, 'I cannot see her on Sunday I have church!.'  I asked if I could tag along for the english mass and she said 'sure.'  She was not Catholic, but who cares, church is church!  I asked if her and I, following mass, could visit her mother's village, she laughed.  I asked why she was laughing and she explained she could not show up without notice and without nothing!  She further explained that should would have to bring chicken, tea, or sugar and she did not have enough money to pay for that.  Well I told Maggie we are going to go to church together on Sunday and then head to the market to buy a few things for her mom and pay a visit!  Maggie was so happy!  I soon learned Maggie had not seen her for more than two months!

Eric and Maggie asked if I could bring them to America.  Although I laughed, they were not kidding.  I think it would be such an experience for them both!

Climbing Mt. Kasungu tomorrow with Gerald! 

Look forward to amazing pictures!

Love Always

Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment