Monday, June 13, 2011

Mt. Kasungu

Saturday, June 11th, 2011

I met Gerald at MicroLoan HQ at 8:30 prior to our hike up Mt. Kasungu!

We got bike taxis, stopped at the market for fresh waters, and within 25 minutes we were at the base of the mountain!  The base was surrounded by huts, eucalyptus trees, brush, rocks, and charred earth/plants.  Asked Gerald if we had to watch out for any animals and he said we could see some monkeys or cobras!  What was I getting myself into!

Mt. Kasungu
As we got closer the mountain started looking a lot smaller, but when we began the climb, I realized I was wrong!

We walked a long a narrow path that circled the mountain trying to find the exact trail.  Well, that was impossible.  Gerald spoke Chichewa to many villagers living at the base asking them if they happened to know where the entrance to the mountain was but everyone seemed to say a different location.  We got to one hut and asked the women washing their children where to go, and they pointed directly ahead of them.  So we choose that route.
Children From one of the Huts
Well that route was not very safe.  The ground was very dry so any rock you placed you foot on for traction just crumbled out of the earth and made its way down the mountain.  There was also a very steep incline that would have been impossible to get up.  Gerald's shoes with no traction combined with my fright of heights led to a mission abort, and we descended to find another route.  As we made our way down the children at the village below were just standing at the base watching from afar yelling "mzungu, mzungu!"  
Gerald and I
We walked further around the mountain and Gerald pointed out a graveyard.  He explained that the cross sticks marked the entrance to the graveyard.  That was erie. We spotted what looked like a path to the top,and it was a good one!  The earth was scorching!  The entire mountains brush had been on fire just days before so the earth was still hot.  You can't even imagine how much soot I was covered in.  

Graveyard Enterance
In Malawi there are many brush fires that people set to catch mice.  Gerald explained that it is not safe as it causes fires to spread!  He also said it harms the environment and the earth.  He said that many farms ruin their land because they strip the soil of its nutrients when causing these fires.

Well after a 50 minute hike we made it to one of the peaks!  Not the very top, but none the less, it was a spectacular view!  You could hear Malawians in the mountain screaming words in Chichewa and Gerald explained they were yelling prayers to God!




We spotted a pack of dogs making their way up the mountain so that was are cue to descend.  I took some good snaps and got a great view of Kasungu and the landscape of Malawi!  The dogs do attack humans so we went down as quick as possible.  I was not getting attacked on a mountain!

Following, we walked to the road and came across a large group of children playing a small game of soccer.  When they say me, they all ran at me saying "take my picture, take my picture!"  I could not resist, so I did.  Gerald also took some snaps of them surrounded by me.  It was awesome!

We continued on our journey to town where I was able to experience the market in Kasungu!  It was just an area full of shops every which way you looked.  People were selling second hand clothes, electronics, fish, vegetables, bananas, fritters, candy, etc.  You name it, they had it!

Fish Market
Produce Market

Gerald and I parted.  He had to venture to Lilongwe to continue packing his belonging before he moves out to his new home here in Kasungu!

Going to church with Maggie in the morning and then heading to her village where she grew up to see her mom!

Best

Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment